Poor Jamie.... she is our little gas machine. I'm eating bland and we burp her all the time, but her stomach is constantly rumbling. Last night, it was bad in that it wasn't coming out and she had horrible gas cramps. I felt so bad for her. Daryl burped her for about an hour and she finally calmed down enough to go to sleep. She slept from 10:00 - 3:45 when I woke her up to nurse... she did one side and then passed out until 6:40. Then she did the other side. She didn't start feeling better until around 10:00 today. I felt so bad for her. We've tried the Mylicon (sp?) drops, the leg exercises where you pump their legs back and forth, belly massage... nothing seems to help... any advice?
.
In the mean time, more pictures!
So Jamie, are you milk drunk??
Say WHAT???
who am I kidding...yea, I'm milk drunk.
and just a cute picture of Jamie with daddy.
14 comments:
Keep trying the mylicon we swore by it. Also, buy the generic it's the same stuff and WAY cheaper. We used to buy the target brand and watch for the sales. Try laying Jamie across your lap face down and do the pat, rub, bounce. They like that and it helps loosen everything up. Although be careful doing that move too soon after eating a lot. Love your title to this post...very funny!
I've been lurking for a while. I agree with Chris, keep with the generic mylicon and the leg exercises. We read somewhere about singing "The Wheels on the Bus" while pumping legs, that worked sometimes too. Just keep trying and you'll find what works. She's adorable and I love the milk drunk pictures.
I am a lurker, too - I am a friend of Andrea & Katie's and have a 2.5 month old baby girl who is FULL of gas...there is also a product at the drug stores called Gripe Water by a company called Bliss by Mom that works well. You can dip her pacifier in it. I use that and Mylicon. My pediatrician said a lot of times it's just their immature digestive system and that it'll work itself out by 4-6 months. Hopefully something will work and give her (and you!) relief before then. Hang in there! She's a cutie! Jessica
Yes! I never got desperate enough to try the Gripe water but I've heard that from several people and I've heard it works! Lindsay was a formula baby so we put the mylicon right in the bottle. Maybe you should try the Gripe water!!
Love the title! Well even with her er..... problems she is still an absolutely adorable little baby girl.
When I had Maddie I used Mylicon and Gripe Water also. I also used catnip tea, which some of her daycare teachers swore by for colic. But we only had colic and reflux issues. So, I am sorry I got nothing for ya.
Girl, I new knew (and still don't) how to tell between a gasy baby and a cranky baby. If the mylicon isn't working, I'd say try the 5 S's. We learned this in our birth class. We used it with both kids...and I SWEAR by it.
1. Swaddle - keeping them tight reminds them of the womb.
2. Shoosh - Again, same sound in the womb. We put Olivia's ear right up to our mouth and shooshed her and she still loves it.
3. Swing. Put them on your legs and gently "rock" or bounce. Motion helps...and a swing works great too.
4. Suck. Offer her a passy or your pinky to suck on. It's natually soothing, and now it's recommended by the AAP for helping to reduce the chance of SIDS.
5. Okay, it's been a while, so I can't remember what #5 is...but obviously we didn't use it that much.
You go in the order #1 - 5 and stop going down the list once she's calmed. Most times we didn't even have to make it past #2. Hope that helps.
I am a lurker. I am a friend of Amanda D. Both my girls had major issues with gas as well as reflux. I also would recommend to keep trying the mylicon (we used target brand usually) and also laying her across your lap like the first person suggested. I also would recommend the book The Happiest Baby on the Block by Dr. Harvey Karp. It teaches you how to soothe babies. It is wonderful and I suggest it to everyone. Jamie is such a cutie!
I meant to say Amanda H in my previous post. I was thinking about her maiden name. :)
Try laying her down on her back and bringing her knees up toward her shoulders and keeping them there for 5-10 seconds or so. Do this a few times. She will probably (most likely) cry while you are doing this because it is moving the gas around, so it can get out!! Also, keep the leg pumping/belly massage going. We used to try everything on the list and eventually something would work. Poor baby...
She is so precious! We love the new pictures!
In addition to only eating bland foods (and removing all caffeine and foods that give you gas) try removing as much dairy from your diet as possible. This was really a challenge for me as I love all things dairy. It did however seem to help David so I stuck with it until he got out of the gassy/colicky phase.
So it seems I feel the opposite as most people about the mylicon drops. We tried the generic first and but the mylicon seemed to work better.
Hey Lori,
Those pictures are so so cute!!! I know you are enjoying her so much! We had lots of problems with gas with Logan. The only thing that ever worked for us was Mylicon drops (we also used the generic Kroger brand) and this one trick my Mom taught me. It's the same thing the others said about laying Jamie face down on your legs and patting her back. Except for one simple thing..... heat a towel in the dryer until it's warm and lay it on your legs with her on top of it (face down). This worked like a charm for us. The heat and the movement ease the gas quickly and it puts them to sleep too! That is the only thing on earth that would get Logan comfortable. Good luck, I've been there girl!
You have a beautiful daughter!!!!
Kim Bone Brooks
Better late than never....anyway, GOOD LUCK with the gassy issues. I really have nothing else to add, but we used the Mylicon also and it seems to work. My second had colic very bad. He would spit up alot even when he had not eaten in several hours. He also cried all the time and the pedi finally put him on prescription drops that really did not help that much. Really nothing we tried with him worked. We all smelled of sore milk his first year.
First of all- Let me just say taht Jamie is Beautiful!! Ok- Max- had horribel gas for teh first 10 weeks! It was rough- I went through gases of Mylicon(target brand) But what saved me was the Gripe Water- I called it Miracle Juice! And I, too, bought it buy the case! You can get it at Babies r us, or any natural foods store!
Call me if you need to talk or anything
Take Care of you and your beautiful baby girl!
Becky P.
Hey Momma!!! When Abby was little and nursing and had gas - a lot of times we could just put our hand on her belly, and hold just a little pressure - I don't know why that would work - (along with the gas drops) - I guess the pressure would help like swaddleling would? Someone posted to take out dairy - which is fine, but I was also told that I needed to drink a QUART of milk everyday, so that my breast milk was rich enough. You can tell if the milk is rich enough, if you pump out like a shot glass sized amount and let it sit - it'll settle, and the pedi. said there should be a layer of fat at the top. But anyways, I'd be careful about taking out ALL dairy without asking your doctor first. Hope you are doing GREAT - Jamie is truely beautiful!
Post a Comment